Monday, December 27, 2010

New Year, New You Baby!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season! We enjoyed our Christmas this year so very much. This week I just want to take a moment to reflect on the idea of New Year's Resolutions. I think they have really gotten a bad rap over the years. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with using the start of the new year as a time for reflection on the past year, assessment of what worked and didn 't work for you and then a resolution for change. I think the problem comes when we have grandiose expectations of ourselves, beat ourselves up when we can't possibly achieve these unrealistic expectations and then backslide when we fail.
So how to keep that from happening? Make New Year's Goals for yourself. Write them down, we are far more likely to commit to something when we put it in writing. Make your goals SMART. That is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. A SMART goal might be,"I would like to achieve well- being and establish good habits, over the next three months, through a combination of healthier eating, exercising three times a week, and getting 8 hours of sleep a night." Instead of, "I want to be in better shape." Looking at this goal it is specific, (achieving well being through these steps), measurable, (we can keep track of how many times we exercise, how many healthy meals, pounds or inches lost etc.) attainable, (this might be different for everyone, so you pick what is attainable to YOU), realistic (notice my goal wasn't to compete in the Olympics in body-building ;) and timely (I am going to assess my progress at three months and see what I need to change, if anything.)
Wow! What a difference from "I'm going to go to the gym more often" or "I want to get in better shape." In a fairly simple example we created a goal that would work! If you would like help in creating a SMART goal for the New Year please email me directly, I am always happy to help!
Next Two Weeks' Schedule
NO CLASS, Monday, December 27th at All Saints' Episcopal, South Hadley.
Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 5:45pm, New Year's Class! I will take your requests for any songs you want to hear, prizes and giveaways during class and snacks and treats after class!
Monday, January 3, 2011, 6pm, All Saints' Episcopal, South Hadley, starts 6 week session of Strength Training/Pilates, 45 minute class. Please bring a set of free weights and a mat. Sign up for the six weeks at the first class and receive discounted price of $30/session, or $7/drop in. Punch cards are good for this class.
Monday, January 3, 2011, 7pm, All Saints' Episcopal, South Hadley, Zumba, always $5 drop in, one punch on punch card.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011, 5:45pm, All Saints' Episcopal, South Hadley, Zumba, always $5 drop in, one punch on punch card.
I do not have a schedule yet for West Side Dance Center, West Springfield or a community class in Holyoke, but as soon as I do, I will send an email and post to the website. I am looking for an additional site in Holyoke, preferably a 4:00pm time frame at least on Thursdays and possibly Tuesdays as well. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to email me directly.
I wish every one of you happiness, health and joy in the year to come and thank you for your continued support of me and of Paper City Zumba!

No comments:

Post a Comment